FONTEGO dei TURCHI
The fontego of the Turks is a palace of Venice dating back to the thirteenth century.
It is located in Sestriere Santa Croce overlooking the canal.
It was built in 1225 financed by Giacomo Palmieri.
In 1381 the Republic of Venice became its owner with the aim of giving it to Niccolò D’Este for his support during the war against the Republic of Genoa.
In 1509 the Republic gave it to pope Julius II,then passed to pope Lion X.
In 1527 it was given back to the Este who then sold it to Cardinal Altobrandini , who sold it to doge Antonio Priuli in 1618.